Monday, July 17, 2006

Fat Kids Piss Me Off

Picture this:

You're walking up a set of stairs. Ahead of you is an extremely obese person, moving slowly, huffing and puffing and holding on to the hand rail for dear life. Every second step he stops, wheezing heavily, taking in as deep a breath as his overworked lungs will allow. His face is red. You know his heart is about to pound out of his chest.

Sad, right? Pathetic, even. Maybe you feel sorry for them. Maybe you don't. Maybe you think that they need to drop the Twinkie. Maybe you think that their pituitary gland isn't working properly. But you DO think about it, and that's my point. EVERYONE takes notice of someone THAT large.

Now consider this:

The person was no more than ten years old, and he was already double my size.

Who is responsible for this? Who do you blame for allowing a child to be that unhealthy? Of course it's possible that this child has an illness that prevents him from being active, or worse, that causes his weight to be so completely out of control. But explain to me, then, why, as I walked around a theme park the other day, I saw such a vast amount of severely obese children? I blame the parents. YES, you read that correctly. THE FAT, LAZY BREEDERS who popped these kids out.

We live in an age of children being raised by the television, the computer and the X-Box. Gone are the days of playing in the back yard with your kid. Why take the time to plan activities for your family when plopping them in front of the old boob-tube will keep them quiet and out of your hair for a few hours? Why not throw in some blue-colored, processed snack and some saccharine-filled soft drink to shut them up while you're at it? For me, it's child-neglect, plain and simple...not to mention cruel.

Now I already know what some of you will say. I've heard all the excuses, and most of them are bullshit.

"I have to work long hours to support them and don't have enough time to play with them every day."

"It's easier to take them out to dinner because I don't have the time to cook."


"My kid is a picky eater."


"My kid would rather stay in and play video games than go outside and play."


"It's too dangerous now to let my kids ride their bike around the neighborhood."


My response to all of these is exactly the same. YOU'RE the PARENT, so ACT like one.

So you work long hours, so what? If you love your child as you should, you MAKE time for activities with them. You don't have enough time to prepare a decent, healthy meal? How long does it take to cook a chicken breast and make a salad? Fifteen, twenty minutes? Your kid only likes to eat sugary, fatty foods? Stop buying the crap and stock up on some fruits and veggies. If their hungry, they'll eventually eat it. Your kid wants to play video games? Limit their time to thirty minutes a day. Think the world is too dangerous for them to go out alone? Get your fat ass on a bike and go on a ride with them!

Some of you may agree with me, some of you don't, and frankly, I don't give a shit. I'm not a parent, and I possibly never will be. But for all the parents of chubby children everywhere, the way I see it is this...what could POSSIBLY be more important than the health and well-being of your child?

My mother has always said that "parenting is a privilege, NOT a right," and I believe that now more than ever.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home