Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Wikipedia Rocks

As I'm having a difficult time today coming up with anything even remotely interesting to write, I've decided to do a "MEME" that I saw a while back. Here's how it works. Go to Wikipedia and type in your birth month and day. The year is unimportant. List three of each of the following that happened on your birthday: events, births and deaths. So here goes...October 29th. Yes, that makes me a Scorpio.

***Note: I started writing this earlier today, needing only to finish the "Deaths" portion. However, since I had to go to a memorial service tonight, I think that would be rather morbid. So I'm going to skip that part.

EVENTS

1. In 1863, sixteen countries met in Geneva to form the International Red Cross. The Swiss always have the best ideas...The army knife, the Swatch, & Nestles chocolate. The Swiss rock...as long as you don't ask them to choose sides.

2. In 1886, the ticker-tape parade is invented in New York when office workers started dumping their wastebaskets out their office windows on the day the Statue of Liberty was dedicated. Leave it to my fellow Americans to celebrate a national event by throwing garbage in the street.

3. In 1969, the first ever computer-to-computer link was established on ARPANET, the big, bad Grand Daddy of the Internet. Weird fact: Bill Gates was born on October 28th. Different year, though. But coincidence? I think not.

BIRTHS


1. Yasmin LeBon, British Model (1964). AKA, the bitch who stole my future husband, Simon (of Duran Duran fame), and shattered my teenage heart. Coincidentally, Simon's birthday is October the 28th.

2. Niki de Saint Phalle, French Sculptor, Painter and Film Maker (1930). A woman after my own heart. Combined paint containers & firearms to create works of art.

3. Kate Jackson, American Actress (1948). A Charlie's Angel. Need I say more?

Seems to me that some pretty cool shit happened on my birthday...namely ME being born. But that's just my opinion. Feel free to form one of your own.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home