Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Checking Things Off My List - #1

As many of you are already aware, I will soon be sprinkling a bit of my fairy dust and transporting myself to Never Land. Well, not necessarily Never Land, per se, but somewhere far, far away, and completely new and unfamiliar to me. The target date has been officially set, and while the move is still 6 months out, I have to get the proverbial ball rolling on some rather important tasks.

Last night, I crossed off the most difficult and nerve-wracking item on my list...telling my parents that I will be moving half a world away from them. To tell you the truth, I was terrified. If you've read this blog for any period of time, you know how tightly-knit my family is. Their love and support means everything to me, and I was scared to death that they simply wouldn't understand. I was shaking, nearly uncontrollably, as we sat down at the table.

What happened next is almost surreal. I'm still not quite sure how to explain it, but I'll do my best. I think I started off by saying something like, "Well, since we're all together, I have something I'd like to discuss with you." And that's all it took...

Somewhere, somehow, I found the strength, and the words began to easily flow from my lips. I told them of how we met, and of how much we love one another, and most importantly, that I am planning the move to be with him. They sat quietly, listening to each word, and when I was finished, they smiled. Mom even cried a little.

After a few moments had passed, I asked them their thoughts. My mother, obviously the more emotional of the two, spoke first:

"If you love him, and you're happy, then that's all that matters. Of course we'll miss you, but you're never more than a phone call, an e-mail or a flight away."

My pops, always the rational one, and not prone to making sentimental statements, spoke next:

"It sounds to me like you're really in love with him. All I've ever wanted for you was to be happy, and to feel loved. If this is what you want, then I'm both happy and excited for you. I think you should go for it."

Sometimes people can really surprise you, you know?
THEY actually made it easy for ME. I mean, there I was, as nervous as I was the day I had to tell them I'd crashed the car, and there they were, letting me off the hook. While I've lived on my own for a very long time, yesterday was the first time I realized that they no longer look at me as their little girl, but as a grown woman.

So, that's it. One task crossed off the list, about one hundred more to go. But it seems to me that none will be harder than the one I've just accomplished. After this, I can get through just about anything. Packing? No problem. Work? Piece of cake.

Visa...oh, shit.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home