Friday, January 27, 2006

Playing Nice

Treat others the way you yourself would like to be treated.
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
Each of us have heard these said at least once in our lives. Maybe it was our mothers, or our pre-school teachers. Maybe we heard it in Sunday school. Maybe we even laughed at it. But if you grew up like me, disobeying these rules were, at the very least, grounds for a swift kick in the ass. Talking with your mouth full was one thing, but being downright nasty to someone was an entirely different issue altogether.
When you get older, and you make your own way in the world, you finally realize why you were taught these things. They are the basic foundation of every human relationship. And it's all so very simple. It's how we determine the good from the bad in people, and it's the decent way to live your life.
After reading this post by Rob, I couldn't help but be angry. I realize he's a big boy and is perfectly capable of defending himself, but I was pissed nonetheless, and I feel the need to speak on his behalf. Click on it, read it, and come back to me. We'll discuss...
Now, I've only been blogging for a few months, but I've been reading many of them, especially his, for a long time. I don't always like or agree with what I read, but my response to that is to click on the X in the upper right hand corner of my screen. I've never left a nasty comment - well except once, and given the circumstances, you would have too - and I never will.
What you read when you come to someone's blog is only a small part of who they are. You cannot assume you know the real person behind the magic curtain. Personal attacks only make you, the reader, look like an asshole.
I know the source of the venom from which the "overweight" comment came. It stems from someone's anger at being rejected. However, I know Rob personally and I really want to set the record straight...
1. It is completely inaccurate. In fact, it's a bald-faced lie. The guy works out more than anyone I know.
2. It's a personal attack from someone who is incapable of seeing reality if it smacked them in the face.
3. It's from a person who obviously never learned the rules, and who'll never be able to play well with others.
So, now that you know the truth, can't we all just try to get along?

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home