Sunday, November 13, 2005

Sense

I can still remember it as if it were yesterday. I'm not sure if there ever was - or ever will be - a time when all of my senses were so alive. I have dreams about it still.

It was a chilly night, but we didn't care. We were on my patio, I on one chair, and you on another just a foot or so away. The street was unusually quiet. It was almost as if my neighbors knew what was about to happen, all inside their homes to give us the privacy we needed.

I lit the candles and turned on some music. We talked and drank, and smoked cigarettes for what felt like hours. I remember having two very distinct thoughts. First, I was certain that you were too good to be true, and second, I knew that your kiss would be the one that I would judge all others by for the rest of my life.

You moved your chair closer, and I rested my legs on your lap. You told me a joke, and I closed my eyes and laughed. When I opened them, you were no more than an inch from my lips. I saw your eyes, and they were looking directly at mine. I think I stopped breathing for a moment. You put your left hand on my cheek and pulled me to you. I was shaking. Tingling.

I tasted the beer and the sweet tobacco, and I felt the cool air on your lips. I could hear the leaves rustling on the trees and a siren somewhere off in the distance. I smelled the vanilla from the candles. I was hyper-aware of everything around me, and yet I was lost in that one perfect moment. Even today, every once in a while, I can still taste you on my lips. And then I go back to those two thoughts that I remember so clearly...

I was never more right in my life.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home