Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I Love You So Much...Laura (Part One)

Once upon a time, there was a boy named Peter. He grew up in my neighborhood, and I worshipped the ground he walked on. He was smart, funny, charming, and looked amazing in his Umbros. He was 16, and aside from his large nose, I thought he was perfect. Besides, his nose gave him character. But, alas, Peter and I were not to be. At least, not in high school.

Flash forward nine years. I had grown out of my gawky stage, no longer 5'7" and flat as a board. I was a woman now. I had curves...and the fact that the braces were off didn't hurt either. One day, I ran in to an old classmate from high school.

"Oh my GOD, Trix, how are you?!?"

"Great, Janel. What's new with you?"

"Blah, blah, blah. Kids are driving me crazy. Blah, blah, blah. I left Tom."

"Wow, I had no idea. I'm sorry to hear that."

"Oh, don't worry. Things are much better now. So have you talked to anyone recently?"

"No, not really. You?"

"Well, I signed up at classmates.com, & I've caught up with so many old friends!"

After another ten minutes of mind-numbing conversation, Janel & I went our separate ways, and I was never more certain that getting out of the burbs was the best decision I had ever made. I was curious, though, to see what some of my old classmates were up to. Call me wicked, but I really wanted to know if Dee ended up marrying Bill, and if Todd finally admitted he was gay. So, needless to say, I signed up.

Not one day had gone by when I got an email...from Pete. There it was, that old feeling. My heart was beating out of my chest and I could barely breathe. Beads of sweat immediately formed on my forehead. I clicked on his message, certain I would get no more than, "Hey there! Glad you signed up. Hope you're well. You going to the reunion?" Instead, what stared back at me from my screen were these 9 perfect words:

"You know, I always had a crush on you."

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home