Thursday, November 10, 2005

I Love You So Much...Laura (Finale)

"I love you's" exchanged, lives intertwined and futures planned, I was happier than I'd ever been. I spent my weekdays daydreaming, and my weekends with Pete and my new circle of friends. I helped him pick things out for his home, he made me breakfast in bed. I'd make dinner, and then we'd join everyone afterwards for cocktails. We'd make love all night on Friday, and sometimes, all day on Saturday. I can't tell you how fulfilled I was, and I was certain he felt the same. Then, three months further in to it, the rug was pulled out from under me.

We'd had a perfect evening that Friday night, and we were topping it off with another marathon round in bed. When we'd finished, he propped himself up on one elbow, leaned over, kissed me on my forehead and said, "I love you so much...Laura." Now normally, this would make any woman smile, except for the fact that my name isn't Laura. The only Laura I could think of was his friend, the nurse. "Oh, Jesus, no," I thought to myself. "They're just good friends. She's MY friend!"

At that moment, I felt like I'd been run over by a truck. I shot straight up out of bed, ran to the bathroom and threw up. Pete ran after me, begging and pleading. "Baby, listen! It was a mistake. A slip of the tongue. I didn't mean it! Please come out of there!" But I couldn't, because deep down, I knew it was true. I don't know how, but I did.

I slept on the cold bathroom tile that night, and in the morning, I called a taxi to take me to the train station. Pete didn't try to stop me. I cried all the way home, and for the next four days straight. On the fifth day, he called me.

"I don't know what to say, Trix. I'm an asshole. I don't know how it happened, but it did, and I'm in love with the both of you. I just don't know what to do."

"Babe, let me make it easy on you, " I said, and then I hung up.

That was the last time we ever spoke.

Some fucking fairy tale, huh?

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home